TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Need some help degreeing stock cams
People Seeking Info

Subject Need some help degreeing stock cams

Posted by wild_maxx on March 29, 2015 at 7:37 PM
  This message has been viewed 312 times.

Message I've got BDE adjustable exhaust and intake cams and am trying to dial in my stock manual cams. My heads have been resurfaced twice and the block once so I'm trying to bring everything back into spec with the cam gears.

I'm following Evans write-up on degreeing stock cams using this guide: A-guide-to-VG-cam-degreeing but I'm having a hard time understanding how to find the cam center line.

I've verified that I found TDC and positioned my pointer wire exactly at TDC on my degree wheel.

I rotated the engine until the first cam lobe of the right exhaust cam pushed the valve down and then set up my dial indicator with a little bit of preload on the gauge.

So here's where the confusion begins... starting with step 4 of finding the cam centerline. I've found peak lift and zeroed out my dial gauge then rotated the engine counter clockwise until .050" lift and noted 203* ABDC. Then I rotated clockwise until .050" and noted 286.5* ABDC. The mid point between those two values is 244.74*

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but I don't know how I'm supposed to get 115 BTDC for the exhaust cam center line with the readings that I'm getting from my degree wheel.

Am I messing up on step 1 of rotating the crank until the cam lobe is pushing the valve down? Am I supposed to rotate the crank back to TDC after adding preload on dial indicator?

This is the degree wheels I'm using Summit

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.